The Mamanuca Islands – A Destination Guide
The Mamanuca Islands are a popular tourist destination for people visiting Fiji. These stunning islands are a volcanic archipelago located to the west of Nadi and to the south of the Yasawa Islands. Easily accesible from mainland Fiji via boat, helicopter or seaplane transfers, their beauty effortlessly draws travelers in from the moment they arrive. Visualise an ideal image of a tropical lifestyle and see it brought immediately to life. The following guide highlights a range of both water and land activities to engage all kinds of travellers. Intrepid types, divers, surfers, families, and of course the romantics at heart are all sure to fall for the Mamanuca Islands in all their South Pacific glory.
The aquatic wonderland of Fiji is truly remarkable and diving and snorkelling throughout the region is a favourite activity for all. Expect a whole host of marine creatures to meet you throughout your ocean swim journey including; pelagic fish, tropical fish species, sea turtles, manta ray, starfish, and maybe the occasional white tip reef shark. The thriving underwater eco-systems here are an eye-catching show of colourful soft corals, pinnacles and deep reef walls. Water temperature in the Mamanucas is balmy and the visibility is incredible. Come stay, come play and get into the tropical lifestyle way. Here’s a few more offshore activities to choose from;
- Diving and Snorkelling
- Game Fishing
- Jet Ski Adventures
- Kayaking and Stand Up Paddle Boarding
Most of the resorts within the Mamanuca Island Group offer a broad range of land based activities to suit all ages. Obviously, time spent relaxing poolside overlooking epic seaside vistas is time well spent! However, if you’re seeking a touch more entertainment and/or a spot of indulgence do keep the following list of ideas handy.
- Day Spa Therapy – The Fijian ‘Bobo’ Massage is a traditional healing treatment that has been passed down from generation to generation. Book yourself in for one whilst on holiday and you will not regret it. Most spas throughout the Mamanucas have extensive menus that offer a bunch of different massage styles, facials and pedicures. Hair braiding is very popular for the kids too.
- Feeling Sporty – Many mid-large style resorts in the area have their own tennis courts, beach volleyball set-ups & mini golf courses.
- Let’s Eat – Fijian Cuisine has come a long way in recent times. Nowadays it’s not hard to find excellent menu selections that offer up a broad choice in international and local flavours. Think the freshest of fresh seafood, healthy Asian inspired food fare, themed buffet nights, great steaks and fulfilling pizza and pasta dishes prepared by passionate chefs. À la carte dining venues are also found throughout the islands with much of the fresh produce being locally supplied. Cheers!
- Island Hopping Day Trips – get on board and discover a selection of islands. A scenic day trip sets the tropical lifestyle mood from day through to night.
- Monoriki Island – the picture-perfect landscape here on this uninhabited is a sight to behold. Famous for its starring role as the home of Tom Hanks’s character from the film ‘Castaway’.
- Sunset Cruise – because a little afternoon deck party never hurt nobody. Champagne and canapés it is!
- Local Village Excursions – check out primary schools, small craft markets and immerse yourself in local culture.
- Marine Conservation Education –Many resorts offer informative talks and/or environmental programs in place to benefit future generations. Find a moment to spare and show you care. If you’re not part of the solution then you’re a part of the problem…right?
- Visit Cloud 9 – A floating 2 story party pontoon anchored on the gorgeous Ro Ro reef. Features a fully stocked international bar, wood fired pizzas, DJ’s and world class snorkelling.
Where to Stay on your Mamanuca Holiday
Perfectly positioned in the Mamanuca Islands is the iconic Treasure Island Resort. A divine South Pacific holiday accommodation choice for families and couples alike. Their famous Fijian hospitality and professional service inspires guests to return and again. Treasure Island Resort offers a fantastic kids’ club, cultural activities, water sports and more. Bountiful dining options on-site means you’re really spoiled for choice when it comes time to feast… and feast you will. Plus, it’s a famed wedding destination too. Check out our mesmerizing photo gallery and room options below and start planning your holiday to paradise soon.