Our mission here at Treasure Island Resort is to offer the ultimate Fijian holiday experience, through providing innovative, consistently reliable and safe facilities for our guests. Whilst also recognising the importance of striving to become the most community and environmentally friendly resort we can be, through sound environmental practices and responsible tourism techniques. Without our stunning surroundings we would not be here today; therefore we place a premium on protecting our beautiful environment and have committed to minimising our impact upon it.
Treasure is proud to be a Sustainable Tourism Champion, working with the South Pacific Tourism Organisation to develop bench marking criteria for the region’s hospitality industry. Through this program we are committed to ongoing monitoring and evaluation of our consumption of resources and environmental impacts. By measuring these we are enabling progress to be made towards reducing our environmental footprint. This program is a pilot initiative and we are proud to lead the way for the regional industry movement towards a more sustainable future.
- We monitor total water used throughout the Resort, enabling us to react quickly to fix any issues and ensure sustainable consumption
- We offer a towel and linen change service which allows our guests to choose how often they have their towels and linen laundered, thereby helping us to protect the environment by conserving energy, water and detergent use.
- We use seawater wherever possible in place of our precious freshwater, such as for flushing toilets.
- We have installed Capstone Micro Turbine power generation technology to minimise our environmental footprint and increase efficiency levels.
- We aim to keep all our electrical goods on the Resort working efficiently, by keeping them regularly serviced and maintained, and wherever possible replacing any old or inefficient items.
- All refrigeration on the Resort has been converted from old ozone depleting gases to more environmentally sustainable and energy efficient refrigerants.
- Incandescent bulbs have been replaced with energy efficient LED and fluorescent light globes throughout the Resort.
- We encourage guests to keep their Air Conditioning units between 21 – 25C, with windows and doors kept closed whilst in use, as this is the most energy efficient way to run them, if it is cool enough to not need your Air Conditioner then we encourage guests to turn them off.
Control of Hazardous Substances
- Management determines the suitability and possible environmental impact of new products before purchase is made.
- We provide training for staff whenever new chemicals or equipment are purchased for use in the hotel, to ensure that they are being used efficiently and in a way which minimises any impact upon our environment.
- Our housekeeping department uses environmentally friendly biodegradable detergents and products wherever possible.
Waste Management Programme
- We operate best practice procedures for a small island Resort.
- We take the phrase ‘reduce, reuse and recycle’ to heart here and follow this wherever possible.
- We embrace principles of sustainability in our consumption.